Travel insurance insurance protects your vacation investment in the event you have to cancel for illness, injury or another covered emergency. What's more, it helps to ensure that you'll have access to the services you need if the emergency occurs during your stay. Although coverage varies by provider and program, many policies offer these important benefits:
1. Coverage for everyone in your party. Talk to the people you're traveling with to make sure everyone has the opportunity to weigh in on the purchase decision.
2. Coverage not just for outright cancellations, but for delayed travel and travel cut short by covered emergencies.
3. Emergency assistance for physician consultations and medical referrals as well as medical and dental services with no out-of-pocket expense, plus assistance to allow a traveling companion to remain with a covered individual who falls ill.
4. Roadside assistance if you need a tow, battery jump or fuel delivery, or you get a flat tire.
5. Coverage for not-so-unusual events such as changes to school year calendars, extended road closings and power outages due to severe weather, and mandatory evacuations due to severe weather.
Although travel insurance is usually offered at the time you book your stay, it's often possible to add it later, as long as you've not yet paid your reservation in full. Contact your Long & Foster Vacation Rentals rental coordinator at 1-800-226-8095 for more information.